Bauhaus Weimar: Master and teacher
Bauhaus Dessau: Master and teacher
Teacher (part-time) for construction theory: technical drawing, reinforced concrete, strength and iron construction theory
Following his studies of structural engineering and interior design at the Mainz Art and Vocational School, Carl Fieger worked at the studio of Peter Behrens starting in 1911. This is where he met people like Walter Gropius and Le Corbusier. After participating in the interior design of the German Embassy in St. Petersburg in 1912, Fieger became an employee of Walter Gropius’ architectural office during that same year. After the end of the war, he once again worked at the studio of Peter Behrens until Gropius appointed him as an adjunct teacher for architectural drawing at the State Bauhaus in Weimar in 1921.
Parallel to his collaboration at the private architectural office of Walter Gropius – for which he still drew many designs until 1934 – Carl Fieger already became self-employed in 1926. During this time, he was involved in such projects as the design of the Dessau Bauhaus Building and the Masters Houses. In 1926, he designed his own residence, including the interior furnishings. Between 1927 and 1930, he taught technical drawing and descriptive geometry within the building theory, which was the last section of the three-level education at the Bauhaus Dessau. In 1930, the Dessau Kornhaus Restaurant on the Elbe River was constructed according to his design. Despite an occupational ban imposed by the National Socialists starting in 1934, he continued to work anonymously.
After the end of the war, Carl Fieger returned to Dessau and participated in the reconstruction of the heavily destroyed city. Among other objects, he designed four variations for one variable type of house. Together with the former Bauhäusler Hubert Hoffmann, he worked on the revival of the Bauhaus until the architect Richard Paulick appointed him to the German Building Academy in 1952. However, Fieger already had to retire from his profession in that year due to a serious illness.
An initial exhibition on his architectonic work already took place at the Ernst Ludwig House of the Bauhaus Archive in Darmstadt two years after his death in 1960.
· Bauhaus-Archiv Berlin (1995): Bauhaus in Berlin. Bauten und Projekte, Berlin.
· Dietrich Fürst (2000): Vom Baukünstler zum Komplexprojektanten: Architekten in der DDR, Erkner.
More information of Carl Fieger
More articles on the topic
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe1886 - 1969
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe was a shining star of German avant-garde architecture when he joined the Bauhaus as its director. This post enabled the architect to devote his energy to teaching for the first time.
Paul Klee1879 - 1940
Klee was left-handed but he could paint with both hands. Many of his Bauhaus students were so impressed by his artistic skills that they dedicated their own works to him.