Buildings by Walter Gropius
Built in 1911, the Fagus Factory in Alfeld ranks internationally as one of the masterpieces of modern architecture. The factory building is an early work by Bauhaus founder Walter Gropius. The UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its striking glass façade, is still actively used today for manufacturing.
The school building (1925/26) by Walter Gropius is regarded internationally as an icon of modern architecture. The Bauhaus experienced its heyday in the functional, minimalist building complex. Today it is part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site and home to the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation.
With the Masters’ Houses (1925/26), Walter Gropius implemented his ideas of the New Architecture for the first time in a group of homes. The three pairs of semi-detached houses and the director’s house are regarded around the world as prototypes of modern architecture and rank among the UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Dessau-Törten Housing Estate
With the first construction phase of the Dessau-Törten Housing Estate, Walter Gropius put new low-cost production and construction methods to the test. As an experimental housing estate, it is an exemplary model for the serial production of social housing.
The Konsum Building (1928), designed by Walter Gropius, forms the centre of the well-known experimental Dessau-Törten Estate due to its location and prominent tower block. The simple, functionalist building and the entire estate constitute an important monument to modernism.
Dessau Employment Office
The Dessau Employment Office (1929) by Walter Gropius is a pioneering example of functionalist architecture. The layout of the distinctive semicircular building and the adjoining administrative block is rigorously derived from organisational procedures in the office.
Dammerstock Housing Estate
The Dammerstock Estate in Karlsruhe (1928/29) is an important example of the New Architecture in south-western Germany. Under the direction of Walter Gropius and the participation of Otto Haesler, a model social housing estate was created.
Siemensstadt Housing Estate
Siemensstadt is a large housing estate and UNESCO World Heritage Site designed as a joint project by architects including Walter Gropius and Hans Scharoun. It displays the entire range of the New Architecture style and served as a model for housing built after the Second World War.
Rosenthal am Rothbühl
The Rosenthal Porcelain Factory in Selb is an important late work by Walter Gropius and bears witness to the influence of the Bauhaus in Bavaria. Gropius created the innovative industrial building in close collaboration with the client, Philip Rosenthal.
The Glassworks in Amberg was Walter Gropius’s last work. Together with his firm TAC, he designed the spectacular industrial building for factory owner Philip Rosenthal. The “Glass Cathedral”, a listed historical monument, was completed in 1970, one year after Gropius’s death.
Bauhaus-Archive / Museum of Design
The Bauhaus-Archiv / Museum für Gestaltung (1979) holds the world’s largest Bauhaus collection. The building, whose distinctive sawtooth roof silhouette has made it one of Berlin’s landmarks, is based on a design by Walter Gropius.