Between 1912 and 1916, Hans Wittwer completed his architecture studies at ETH Zurich under Friedrich Bluntschli and Karl Moser. He then worked until 1919 in Karl Moser’s architecture office in Zurich and had completed his subsequent internship in Basel by 1924. Wittwer then studied the history of urban development at the University of London in 1925 and joined a group of architects that, alongside other projects, published the magazine ABC – Beiträge zum Bauen (ABC – contributions to building). At the same time, Wittwer founded his own office in Basel, which he co-directed with Hannes Meyer in 1926–1927.
In 1927–1928, Wittwer began working as an adjunct teacher for installation theory and technical design in the building studies department at the Bauhaus Dessau. From March 1928 to February 1929, he also headed the construction office of the building department directed by Hannes Meyer. During his period as a teacher at the Bauhaus Dessau (1927–1929), he introduced new teaching modules such as methods for calculating the position of the sun that opened up new areas of knowledge for the design process.
After his departure from the Bauhaus Dessau, Wittwer moved to the workshops of the city of Halle, the Staatliche-Städtische Kunstgewerbeschule Burg Giebichenstein (Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design Halle). Wittwer worked there as head of the architecture class and creative director of the studio for construction and interior design until 1933. During this period, Wittwer also held a job as an architect for the company Flughafengesellschaft Halle/Leipzig m.b.H. In addition, he worked as a creative consultant for the municipal council of Merseburg. Wittwer lived as a self-employed architect in Halle (Saale) until 1934. That same year, he returned to Basel to work in the family business.
More articles on this topic
Gropius appointed Josef Albers as a young master before he had even qualified as a journeyman. He was in charge of the preliminary course, where he formulated a pioneering approach to art education.
1929–1932 Bauhaus master
He came across the Bauhaus in Weimar more or less by chance – and after his first conversation with Walter Gropius he knew he would be staying. Years later Arndt took over the Building and Fitting Out department.