Deutsche Olivetti. Frankfurt am Main
Klaus Kinold (Hg.)
Fotografien von Klaus Kinold
Text von Wolfgang Pehnt
The last major work by the Karlsruhe architect Egon Eiermann (1904–1970) was the ensemble, which is distinctive due to the two towers, that he built for the Italian office machine company Olivetti in Frankfurt am Main. What was important to him was the slim shape, developed from the task, construction and material, which at the same time forms a characteristic figure.
Adriano Olivetti, the son of the company's founder, attached importance to quality not only for all of his company's products, which became cult objects of Italianità in design and established the Olivetti style. He also represented the same claim in architecture. For the German branch, grandson Roberto Olivetti signed Eiermann, a particularly renowned representative of German post-war modernism. For the architect, the contract was a grand finale, for the Karlsruhe student Klaus Kinold the beginning of his career as an architectural photographer.
2019, Hirmer Verlag
72 pp., 60 ills., hardcover